Phyllis called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm.
Laura introduced our guest speaker, Kathleen Riggins, of www.kathleenquilts.com. A very happy trunk show followed and Kathleen passed many of her quilts around so that everyone could get a close look at her wonderful quilting. Kathleen passed along some great tips for machine quilting effectively along with loads of inspiration from her work!
Creative Stitches Update – Phyllis
– The show is taking place March 24 & 25 2017 at the Tradex in Abbotsford.
– If you want to take part in this year’s challenge, “The book that you bought that you haven’t made the quilt from yet Challenge”, the size of your quilt will be due by next meeting November 10. For more info on the challenge, see the group Facebook page.
– We want to add a new pin to the collection. We are offering a prize for the best slogan – we’ll collect these on November 10.
– We are hoping to have continuous demos in the booth
– The show takes a lot of volunteers – we’ll have sign-up sheets in December.
Call for Volunteers – Phyllis
– We need volunteers to plan the Christmas party and to relay information from Facebook to a member who does not use Facebook.
Upcoming Events – Laura
– October 22 Sew-In
Sew-in (free) for guild members at University of the Fraser Valley, Room A259. Special thank you to Darlene for booking the room for us!
– November 10 Meeting – Lois Kelly Batik Baskets Demo and Pop-Up Shop
Lois Kelly from Vancouver Island will be doing a demo and pop-up shop. Think Christmas presents!
– November 19 Workshop – Improv Curves with Cynthia Frenette
Cynthia Frenette (a founding member of the guild) is teaching an Improv Curves Workshop for us. Cost is $35 to members and $40 for non-members. Payment is required before the workshop to guarantee your spot. The workshop will be held in Room A259 at University of the Fraser Valley.
– February 10-11, 2017 – Trunk Show and Workshop with Katie Pedersen (co-author of Quilting Modern and blogger at www.sewkatiedid.com)
Feb 10 – trunk show free for members, $10 for non-members
Feb 11 – workshop $85 for members, $95 for non-members (includes catered lunch)
We will open the workshop to non-members after the December meeting, so if you want to attend get your payment in to Laura asap. The Sandman Hotel in Abbotsford will host this event for us and a catered lunch will be provided for workshop attendees at no extra charge.
– May 11, 2017 – Trunk Show and Workshop with Paul Krampitz from Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild
Paul will do a trunk show for us at our May 11 meeting. He will teach his Wedge Circle Quilt workshop on May 13.
Membership Update – Barb
– Welcome to our six guests this evening.
Block Lotto Update – Jean
– Jean will be coordinating occasional block lottos for the group.
Canada’s Big Quilt Bee – Jean
– The Canadian Quilters Association (CQA) is coordinating a Canada-wide quilting bee with the goal of producing 1000 quilts for Ronald McDonald House.
– We are hoping to coordinate a guild quilt in January which can be donated to a local Ronald McDonald House.
Community Quilts – Jean
– We have some fabric for sale by donation at this meeting. The proceeds will be used to purchase supplies for community quilts.
Show & Tell
– Thanks to everyone who brought something to share with the group! As usual, lots of variety, interest and inspiration for the group.