As the meeting started, many heads were bent over sewing labels on 35-plus quilts destined for Syrian refugee families who’ve recently arrived in the Fraser Valley.
Membership Update – Sherri
1 guest tonight and now 74 full members. The door prize draw is now being done by poker chips marked with the membership numbers. When you sign in, make sure you put your number in the draw can or no door prize for you!
Latifah Saafir Workshops – Jean
Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild is bringing Latifah Saafir in for workshops. There are still spots in the workshops left as well as tickets to her trunk show. Speak to Jean for tickets.
Community Quilts – Jean
The Syrian refugee quilt project has shown us that there will always be supplies needed to top up the donations. Next month we are starting a 50/50 draw to support our community quilts. We’ll be looking for volunteers to set it up properly with BC Lotteries and run it every month. (Volunteers have now stepped up)
Membership Survey – Jean
We will be sending out a membership survey in the next few weeks. We have lots to ask you about – please take a few minutes to fill it out!
We are considering a by-law change to hold the elections in June. This will allow incoming people to learn the ropes with the existing officers until they step down in September. We encourage everyone to think about what role they’d like to take. All of the executive committee is stepping down. We always need volunteers to help organize our events and keep things running. Here are some of the (not voted) things we need help with:
- Maintaining an equipment list
- Updating the guild web page and Facebook
- Publicist to write articles for different publications
- 50/50 draws and gaming license
- Door prize and snack coordinator
- Coffee klatch coordinator
- Taking meeting minutes
- Anniversary party planning
Coming Events – Laura
- We are taking the refugee quilts to Abbotsford Community Services to distribute next week.
- Cynthia’s improv workshop June 18 – space still available, registration closes tonight.
- June meeting will be a car trunk sale – bring things to sell or swap. This will be the whole meeting.
- July meeting – potluck picnic in Mission Heritage Park. We’ve invited Bellingham Modern Quilt Guild to come up and visit. We’ll do a mug rug swap at this meeting.
- August – working on a pop-up shop to be announced.
- September – anniversary meeting.
- October – pop-up shop and a demo of making batik baskets
- Maritime mini quilts are here – so much fun to hand them out. Lots of admiration and checking out the amazing variety!
Show & Tell
Some highlights this month: Canuck Place quilts, jelly-roll hexis, and several Quiltcon inspired finishes.
Quote of the evening: “Now the pickle is upside down.”
Favourite Tool Show & Tell
This was a particularly interesting part of the evening as members talked about their favourite tools. A great way to share knowledge and there was something new to almost everyone! Some of the goodies:
- Needle-nose pliers
- Fine tweezers
- Glow-line tape to mark rulers for repetitive cutting
- Machine quilting gloves
- Magnetic pin collector
- Blunt-tip scissors (cut the thread, never the fabric)
- Bloc loc ruler for squaring up HSTs
- The 5 pound sewing machine
- The Magic Tape case that makes a great finger presser!