Welcome to the Wonky Star Block Challenge! We thought it would be fun to have a challenge using some of the charm squares we have been swapping. Here is the challenge… make a block or two and bring the blocks to our December Meeting. For each block you bring, you will get a ticket to win all the blocks. If we get a lot of blocks, we will divide them in two groups. You might win enough wonky stars to make a quilt! So get your wonky on and join us in the Wonky Star Block Challenge.
1. Gather your 5″ charm squares. For each block, you will need 5 print squares and 8 white or low volume squares. You can make the white and low volume squares scrappy too… they do not have to be matchy-matchy. Please keep the prints in each block in the same colour family but get scrappy!
2. Leave one print square whole but cut 4 of the print squares into triangles… cut on the diagonal.
3. Place a print triangle like so on your white or low volume square. Get wonky. They do not have to be perfect! Stitch with a quarter inch seam. Trim and finger press.
4. Do it again with the other triangle. Trim and set aside. I like to make all the star point and press them in batches. I am a lazy quilter and after pressing the star points, I stack them all up and trim them altogether so they are all 5″ square. You might not be as lazy.
5. Lay the points out in a pleasing arrangement and stitch! Press your seams and bring your blocks to the meeting! Have fun!